Preparing the Offer
When you view a home on the market that you really want, you can hardly wait to be handed the keys. The Bay Area is a highly competitive market and you need expert advice and data analysis to give you an edge.
Before we prepare an offer together, we will have a detailed discussion about the offer process, content of the documents, and the critical decisions you’ll make and how those decisions impact your likelihood of success.
The price we go in with is critical, but not the sole consideration. You want it to meet seller expectations – without overpaying. There are multiple strategic aspects to writing a winning offer; together we will decide on the most compelling combination of price and terms.
How the Process Works
When you decide to make an offer on a home, here’s what typically happens:
- I’ll recommend a price that has the best chance of being accepted by the seller, without over-paying for the home.
- Obviously, sellers prefer offers that have no contingencies. However, I may suggest specific contingencies, such as a professional home inspection, be included for your protection. We’ll talk about what contingencies you can leverage and when not to.
- I’ll prepare the necessary documents, send them electronically for your review and signatures, then present to the seller’s agent.
- If the offer isn’t accepted as-is and the seller makes a counter-offer, I’ll work with the seller’s agent, skillfully negotiating on your behalf to make a deal.
- I’ll keep you informed of any developments – I know you’re anxious!
- Once the seller ratifies our contract, I’ll help guide you through removal of any contingencies, work with your lender and escrow officer from initial deposit through “clear to close”. Then, I get the privilege of bringing the very best news – the home is yours. Congratulations!
I realize that making an offer can be an intimidating process. It doesn’t have to be. That’s the advantage of selecting a real estate agent who takes fiduciary duty seriously. I look after your interests, first and foremost. When you go after a property you really want, you can take comfort in knowing you have an expert on your side who will make the process as pleasant as possible.
Have questions about making an offer? Please submit the form below, call, or email me and let’s chat.